Island of Jersey Passport 1835 issued by Major- Gen. Archibald Campbell C.B. Lieutenant Governor. Made out to a Sextus Ramsey Esq Solicitor travelling in such parts of France as his business as may require. Royal Arms and Arms of Jersey. Black printing with manuscript annotations. With Stamps of Granville and Paris on reverse, size 5¼” × 12½”. A pretty and rare piece of passport history, which is very rare to find nowadays.
Born the son of Sir James Campbell of Inverneill and a member of the Campbells of Inverneill, Campbell was made a Lieutenant-Colonel in the 6th Regiment of Foot in 1812 and commanded the 1st Bn 6th Foot at the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813. Campbell was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Jersey in 1835 and died in office in 1838. He is buried in the Parish Church of St Helier.
The Lieutenant Governor of Jersey is the representative of the British monarch in the Bailiwick of Jersey, a Crown dependency of the British Crown. The Lieutenant Governor has his own flag in Jersey, the Union Flag defaced with the Bailiwick’s coat of arms. The Lieutenant Governor’s official residence (Government House) in St. Saviour was depicted on the Jersey £50 note 1989–2010.