Visit subscribe YouTube-Channel
My website has been online since 2010. Three years later, I also established a YouTube channel. The first video was posted in 2013 and showed the Monegasse Diplomatic passport of Mstislav Leopoldovich “Slava” Rostropovich, a Soviet and Russian cellist and conductor. He is considered to be one of the greatest cellists of the 20th century.
You will find videos of passports from countries that no longer exist, travel documents of people in history as well as Nobel Price Laureates or celebrities. Travel documents from countries you never heard of. The most expensive collectible passport or the rarest passport a collector can get.
Fast forward to 2022… Visit subscribe YouTube-Channel
In the meantime, there are over 100 videos on passports and their history online. My videos are entertaining and educational. The history of the passport is most exciting and curious simultaneously. Currently, there are 204 subscribers to my channel. This number is, of course, dynamic. Here is one of my latest videos. Please subscribe and share my channel with your network if you like what you see. ENJOY!
The Complete Guide to Passport History And What Passports Reveal About a Country’s Culture
Introduction: The Importance of Passports – How they Are Issued and What is Included in the History
keywords: passport history and what it reveals, country’s culture, world’s most unique passports
Individual Country Histories
keywords: countries’ passport histories, Jordan passport history, Brazilian passport history)
Reasons Your Passport is Delayed and How to Fix the Issue
Introduction: What are the reasons for passport delays?
keywords: passport delays, travel document delay, what causes passport delays
How to Avoid and Fix a Passport Delay
keywords: how to get a passport faster, how to apply for a new passport, fix my passport problems
What Causes Passport Delays
keywords: delayed in getting a passport, why did my passport take so long
How Long Does it Take To Get A New Passport
keywords: how long does it take to get a new baby passport, renewed or new passports uk
Who Can Apply For A New or Renewed Passport?
keywords: personalized or standard passports UK, can u renew two old passports
Visit subscribe YouTube-Channel
FAQ Passport History
Passport collection, passport renewal, old passports for sale, vintage passport, emergency passport renewal, same day passport, passport application, pasaporte passeport паспорт 护照 パスポート جواز سفر पासपोर्ट
1. What are the earliest known examples of passports, and how have they evolved?
The word "passport" came up only in the mid 15th Century. Before that, such documents were safe conducts, recommendations or protection letters. On a practical aspect, the earliest passport I have seen was from the mid 16th Century. Read more...
2. Are there any notable historical figures or personalities whose passports are highly sought after by collectors?
Every collector is doing well to define his collection focus, and yes, there are collectors looking for Celebrity passports and travel documents of historical figures like Winston Churchill, Brothers Grimm, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Read more...
3. How did passport designs and security features change throughout different periods in history, and what impact did these changes have on forgery prevention?
"Passports" before the 18th Century had a pure functional character. Security features were, in the best case, a watermark and a wax seal. Forgery, back then, was not an issue like it is nowadays. Only from the 1980s on, security features became a thing. A state-of-the-art passport nowadays has dozens of security features - visible and invisible. Some are known only by the security document printer itself. Read more...
4. What are some of the rarest and most valuable historical passports that have ever been sold or auctioned?
Lou Gehrig, Victor Tsoi, Marilyn Monroe, James Joyce, and Albert Einstein when it comes to the most expensive ones. Read more...
5. How do diplomatic passports differ from regular passports, and what makes them significant to collectors?
Such documents were often held by officials in high ranks, like ambassadors, consuls or special envoys. Furthermore, these travel documents are often frequently traveled. Hence, they hold a tapestry of stamps or visas. Partly from unusual places.
6. Can you provide insights into the stories behind specific historical passports that offer unique insights into past travel and migration trends?
7. What role did passports play during significant historical events, such as wartime travel restrictions or international treaties?
During war, a passport could have been a matter of life or death. Especially, when we are looking into WWII and the Holocaust. And yes, during that time, passports and similar documents were often forged to escape and save lives. Example...
8. How has the emergence of digital passports and biometric identification impacted the world of passport collecting?
Current modern passports having now often a sparkling, flashy design. This has mainly two reasons. 1. Improved security and 2. Displaying a countries' heritage, icons, and important figures or achievements. I can fully understand that those modern documents are wanted, especially by younger collectors.
9. Are there any specialized collections of passports, such as those from a specific country, era, or distinguished individuals?
Yes, the University of Western Sidney Library has e.g. a passport collection of the former prime minister Hon Edward Gough Whitlam and his wife Margaret. They are all diplomatic passports and I had the pleasure to apprise them. I hold e.g. a collection of almost all types of the German Empire passports (only 2 types are still missing). Also, my East German passport collection is quite extensive with pretty rare passport types.
10. Where can passport collectors find reliable resources and reputable sellers to expand their collection and learn more about passport history?
A good start is eBay, Delcampe, flea markets, garage or estate sales. The more significant travel documents you probably find at the classic auction houses. Sometimes I also offer documents from my archive/collection. See offers... As you are already here, you surely found a great source on the topic 😉
11. Is vintage passport collecting legal? What are the regulations and considerations collectors should know when acquiring historical passports?
First, it's important to stress that each country has its own laws when it comes to passports. Collecting old vintage passports for historical or educational reasons is safe and legal, or at least tolerated. More details on the legal aspects are here...
Does this article spark your curiosity about passport collecting and the history of passports? With this valuable information, you have a good basis to start your own passport collection.
Question? Contact me...